Get some basic information and links to help you plan and prepare before your trip. Don’t get caught out, be prepared and it’s always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to checking with regards to visas.

Tourist Visas

Visa’s are required for some international destinations. This can be incredibly important on your around the world trip.

We recommend you use Visas Direct to check if you require a visas for any of the countries you intend to visit on your round the world trip.

Anyone travelling to the USA on an Australian passport is required to preregister for an ESTA visa waiver and those travelling to Canada require an  ETA . These must be done at least 3 days before travel.

The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is an automated system used by The US Department of Homeland Security to determine eligibility to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. Upon completion of an ESTA application, a VWP traveller will be notified of their eligibility to travel to the USA under the VWP by email. Conditions apply to be eligible for the VWP. See the US Department of Homeland and Security website for more information.

Please note a lot of countries that have visa waiver programs or visa on arrival free of charge, do have a maximum stay in their country as a tourist. This ranges from 30 days for a lot of Asian countries and some Eastern European countries to 90 days for most EU countries (and Schengen region) and most South American countries [Brazil requires a visa]. In the UK Australians are allowed 6 months as a tourist. It is important to check that you meet all of the necessary criteria for a visa waiver and that you confirm the exact amount of time you are allowed to stay in any one country. We do not guarantee the accuracy of this information as there are continual updates from consulates and we suggest contacting them directly with any enquires.

A list of foreign embassies can be found at:

Passport Information

Passports are an integral part to traveling internationally. If you have a passport other than Australian please be aware that this information is not relevant for you and you should contact the relevant embassy. For your round the world adventures ensure you have your passport with plenty of time before you are due to fly out of the country. Also, make sure that you advise us of your full name as per your passport at the time of booking, indicating the first, middle and surnames as this will go on your ticket and name changes with airlines, even for typos can be expensive.

It is generally regarded that you need a minimum of 6 months validity on your passport from the date of return to Australia. If your passport is about to expire make sure you renew it with plenty of time allowed for processing before departing Australia.

See the Australian Passport Office for requirements to get an Australian passport and to apply.